Sunday, May 24, 2009

Cemetaries are full of procrastinators

Today is May 24th. The Sunday before Memorial Day, 2009. Its also just about seven years after I lost my mother in 2002. As I drove through the cemetary today in Kingfisher, I saw men, women, and even families walking through the stones, admiring the flowers, looking for names they knew. I saw one woman cleaning a headstone as some of the water around here tends to stain the headstones, as well as the brick on my house.

It occured to me that not everyone buried in the cemetary is someone that never woke up from their slumber after a long life into their 90's. The cemetary also has 23 year-olds who rolled a truck, or 37 year-olds who drove when they had too much to drink, or 50 year-olds who fought cancer until the very end. Cemetaries are also full of those who meant to buy life insurance but never got around to it.

Maybe you don't think you need it, or that your estate is big enough that your family doesn't need it, or that you'll "get around" to getting some. DO NOT put this off any longer! Take care of this need now, or risk not getting it done.

In the Memorial Days of the future, how do you want to be remembered? As the one who left your family in debt, or the one who provided for the kids to go to college, paid off the mortgage, and allowed your spouse years of income? This is up to you. Decide which one you want to be, and then call me.

No comments: