Sunday, January 27, 2013

the casualties of government programs

One of my clients called me today. He's been with me forever, and is a great friend as well. Now that I think about his predicament, I'm afraid there may be more calls like this in the future. With the new increase in payroll taxes, his paycheck has taken a $495 monthly hit. Now, he's not overly wealthy, but he has a good job, a nice home, and great kids. However, this cut in his income is forcing him to do away with the one thing that could protect his family in case something happens; his life insurance. What we're forced to do, at this point, is to reduce his coverage into a more manageable monthly premium. I can still provide some relief to the family should something happen, but at what expense? Do his daughters go to the college they have to, or the one they want to? Do they go to college at all? Does his wife have to work 10 more years past normal retirement, or can she look forward to her golden years? These all seem like vague, dreamy questions, but they're the questions we answered when he originally bought his policy. Now, the ball is in his court, but that is why I'm so grateful to play the role of the broker. My multiple companies allow me the flexibility to offer solutions to problems like this. I could not have had these options four years ago, and would have recommended to him to drop his coverage. Now, we both have options.

No comments: