Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Shhh. I've apparently got a secret!

There was a funeral today. One of the nicest, hardest-working people I know died from injuries sustained in an accident last week. He was a little older than me, a little shorter and a little heavier, and his family will miss him very much. I don't think he really knew much about me, or considered me one of his friends, but we got along when we saw each other and always had something to talk about. What bugs me the most is that I could've done so much for him and his family here at the end, but I never told him anything about what I do. Why is that? Ignacio was a well-respected local contractor who was always busy. He died from injuries sustained when he fell off of a ladder and struck his head. He never recovered, and died in ICU. Why did I never mention to him what I do? Why did I not be more assertive and ask him for an appointment to see if there was a way I could help him and his family. Obviously, three things I do come to mind: 1) Disability. Had he not struck his head and simply fell off a ladder, he probably would have been out of work for several weeks. Disability coverage could've bridged that income gap that he would've encountered. 2) Critical illness. Falling from a ladder almost always leads to a hospital visit. This valuable coverage would most certainly have helped alleviate some of those costs. 3) Life insurance. Today, especially, his family is reeling from the immediate expenses of his final care, and scrambling to figure out how they'll live without his income. Giving that family a check to continue their lives in the way they are accustomed would be one of the best things to happen to them all week. This illustrates my point. The things I can do with the products I offer are so fantastic, that there must be some reason I never bring them up in conversation. There has got to be a reason that my 1,000+ facebook friends, 550 LinkedIn contacts, and the 355 Twitter followers I have don't all know instinctively know what I do. It must be that I want to keep this to myself, and just assume that everyone I know knows what I do, and how the products that I offer work. From now on, I will not keep this passion of mine a secret. For Nacho, I am going to bring up my business to the people I know, meet, and work with. I think that's a great way to honor the man that I knew.

No comments: